A general guide to attractions in Carinthia - Kärnten.
Austria and its Provinces
Austria has nine separate provinces.
The Provinces (Länder) of Austria
Carinthia (German: Kärnten) is the southernmost Austrian state or Land. It is located within the Eastern Alps and is noted for its mountains and lakes. Carinthia is bordered to the south by Italy and Slovenia, by the Austrian provinces of Tirol to the west, and Salzburgerland and Styria (Steiermark) to the north.
The province is divided into eight rural and two urban districts (Bezirke).
The Rural Districts:
- Klagenfurt-Land Sankt
- Veit an der Glan
- Spittal an der Drau
The Urban Districts:
Carinthia an also be divided into ten distinct mountain ranges split up by the Drau, Glan, Lavant and Gurk rivers and the Klagenfurt Basin.
Carinthian mountain ranges
Carinthia is not known as Austria's Riviera without reason. This South Eastern corner of Austria is blissfully warm in summer, providing excellent swimming and tanning opportunities at its many beautiful lakes.
Carinthian Lakes - Faaker See
Austria’s southernmost lake, the Faaker See, reaches 27°C in summer, the turquoise waters offering fun, sports and downtime for the whole family.
Special Features: Austria’s only car-free island, the European Bike Week in autumn, and a diverse cultural program at Burgruine Finkenstein from where you can enjoy magnificent views of the surroundings.
Facilities: Bathing beaches, sailing and windsurfing school, boat rental, nudist area, campsites, hotels
Further Information: www.region-villach.at
Carinthian Lakes - Klopeiner See
Thanks to its 28°C warm water, Lake Klopeiner See offers an almost tropical swimming experience and people gather at the family-friendly shores from the beginning of May. On the hottest of summer days, the Obir Stalactite Caves offer respite from the heat. At a mere temperature of around 8°C, be sure to layer up again!
Facilities: Bathing beaches, boat rental, campsites, nudist campsite, hotels
Water Sports: Scuba diving, fishing
Further Information: www.klopeinersee.at
Carinthian Lakes - Millstätter See
141m deep, the Millstätter See is Carinthia’s second largest lake. Bordered by tree-lined hills on its southern shores and a sprinkling of resorts to the north, the wide, flat beaches of the 26°C warm lake are ideal for families with kids.
Facilities: Bathing beaches, boat rental, nudist area, campsites, hotels
Water Sports: Water skiing, sailing, windsurfing, crazy banana, tubing, scuba diving, parasailing
Further Information: www.millstaettersee.com/en/summer.html
Carinthian Lakes - Ossiacher See
The emerald green, long and narrow Lake Ossiach between Gerlitzen Mountain and the Ossiach Tauern range is Carinthia’s third largest lake and venue of the annual Carinthian Summer music festival. It offers fun activities for young and old throughout the year. How about some climbing action on the first swimming iceberg, for example, or shooting down Carinthia’s longest water slide? A popular outing destination south west of the lake is Burgruine Landskron. The castle, partially in ruins, is famous for its birds of prey show and the monkey mountain.
Special Features: Cycle path encircling the lake, bi-annual water skiing championships
Sports Facilities: Sailing, windsurfing, water-skiing, scuba diving, crazy banana, tubing, parasailing
Facilities: Bathing beaches, boat rental, pleasure cruises, hotels, campsites
Further Information: www.region-villach.at
Carinthian Lakes - Weissensee
At 1000m above sea level, the Weissensee is Carinthia’s highest lake. With a temperature of around 24°C, the clear and clean water is refreshing even on the hottest of days, has fantastic visibility and plenty of fish. As two thirds of the lakeshores are protected by conservation laws, the area offers great scenic beauty. Ideal for those in search of a peaceful break, as well as for families with young children.
Sports Facilities: Windsurfing, crazy banana, tubing, water-skiing, parasailing, fishing
Facilities: Bathing beaches, pleasure cruises, boat rental, campsites, hotels
Further Information: www.weissensee.com/en
Carinthian Lakes - Wörthersee
This is not only Carinthia’s largest lake, but also its most popular and famous thanks to numerous film shoots. The Wörthersee is 17km long, 1.6km wide and 27°C warm, offering a wealth of activities for the family. Europe's largest bathing beach is located on the eastern shores, boasting a giant water slide. The Wörthersee is also venue of the annual Beach Volleyball Grand Slam and Ironman Austria.
Sports Facilities: Sailing, windsurfing, water skiing, scuba diving, parasailing, crazy banana and tubing
Facilities: Bathing beaches, boat rental, nudist area, sailing and windsurfing schools, Casino (in Velden), bars, Kneipp facilities, hotels, campsites (nudist)
Further Information: www.woerthersee.com/en
Carinthian Ski Resorts
Alpine skiing pleasure that leaves no wishes unfulfilled – in Carinthia, winter guests have a vast choice among the most beautiful alpine regions: between Heiligenblut and Nassfeld, between Bad Kleinkirchheim and the Möll Valley Glacier. In total there are 850 kilometres of alpine pistes.
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Nassfeld
Nassfeld – Ski where the sun is shining
One of Austria’s top 10 ski resorts, is sure to impress with its size, variety of pistes and breathtaking mountain scenery.
Due to its unique topography and microclimate, it numbers not only amongst the snowiest ski resorts in the Alps but also one of the sunniest.
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Mölltaler Gletscher
Snap on your skis all year round at Mölltaler Gletscher, Carinthia’s only glacier ski resort. Take a light and easy glide over the many perfectly prepared pistes. A children’s rate is available for kids and teens aged 6 to 18. Children under 6 ski for free
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Bad Kleinkirchheim
Extensive skiing area with nearly endless, beautiful, wide pistes and scenery. Go from the pistes to the thermal baths in Römerbad or St. Kathrein with our numerous lift & thermal bath combo offers!
Bad Kleinkirchheim more information.
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Katschberg
Family skiing holidays in the Katschberg region – Children's laughter guaranteed. The Katschberg-Rennweg region is on the way to becoming the #1 family skiing holiday destination.
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Grossglockner/Heiligenblut
At the foot of Austria's highest mountain, Großglockner offers a fantastic panoramic view of more than 40 3,000-metre peaks in the Hohe Tauern National Park. Along with its varied and snowy pistes, this impressive ski resort nestled among the 3,000-metre peaks offers “magical moments” – guided tours to places you would never be able to reach alone!
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Gerlitzen
Gerlitzen Alpe – located in the heart of Carinthia with stunning panoramic views of Italy, Slovenia and over half of Carinthia!
39 km of pistes, including 10 km easy, 26 km medium, 3 km difficult
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Ankogel
- 12.8 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult 7 lifts:
- 2 gondola lifts,
- 5 ski lifts
- 25-km cross-country ski trail (classic and carving)
- Special rates for children up to 18! Family discount with SkiHit: 2 parents + 2 children (6-18 years) pay full price, each additional child (6-18 years) goes free!
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Turracher Höhe
Nestled in the Nockberge region, Turracher Höhe offers a varied and snowy winter paradise at altitudes of up to 2,205 meters from November to early May.
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Goldeck
The Goldeck offers panoramic views over the whole of Carinthia. Offers both an advanced ski area and family fun in the new children’s area! Great free-ride area and vast ski touring areas. The warmth of the first Carinthian bathhouse in Millstatt beckons after a long day of skiing.
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Innerkrems
Family holidays in Lieser-Maltatal region (Familiental).
Innerkrems is one of the snowiest ski resorts in Carinthia, featuring altitudes between 1,550 and 2,200 metres and located in Familiental, or “Family Valley” – a holiday region where FAMILY comes first! Perfect winter holidays to suit every taste and every wallet.
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Dreiländereck
- 16.9 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult
- 9 lifts: 3-seater chairlifts, 6 ski lifts and 2 practice lifts
- 10-km-long cross-country skiing and skating trail – easy
- Free ski kindergarten, mountain station, 8.4 km natural snow toboggan run, children's area at the base station, free guided snowshoe and winter hiking
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Falkert
Heidi-Alm Skipark – Falkert
- 12 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult
- 5 lifts: 4 ski lifts, 1 cable lift, 3 conveyor belts
- 8.5 km of cross-country ski trails (skating and classic)
- Night skiing, insider tips for free-riders, kids’ snow park, great children's area, first Carinthian ski touring nature trail, lit toboggan run, great winter sports program for mountain resort guests
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Klippitztörl
- 28 km of pistes: easy, medium and difficult
- 6 lifts: 2 chairlifts, 1 2-seater chairlift, 1 4-seater chairlift
- Children's centre with baby lift and piste with overhead lighting
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Koralpe
- 24 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult
- 6 lifts: 4-seater chairlift, 4 ski lifts, one practice lift
- guided ski hiking tours
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Weinebene
- 15 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult
- 6 lifts: 6 ski lifts, 1 practice lift
- 15-km cross-country ski trail (double track)
- Toboggan run
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Weissensee
- 6 km of pistes easy to medium
- 5 lifts: 4-seater chairlift, 3 ski lifts and 1 button lift
- 53 km of cross-country ski trails, easy to difficult
- Ice skating on Weissensee
- Toboggan run 4 km
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Ski area Petzen
Ski area Petzen
Pleasure in the snow on the Petzen.
The Petzen, Carinthia's family mountain, promises an unforgettable winter experience for the whole family with its modern snow-making facilities and perfectly groomed pistes of all difficulty levels.
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Bodental
Rosental ski resort Bodental
- 1 km of pistes easy to medium
- 3 lifts: 1 ski lift, 1 button lift, free baby lift and magic carpet
- 10 km of cross-country ski trails, easy to medium
- guided snowshoe hikes,
- horse-drawn carriage rides
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Emberger Alm
Emberger Alm Facts
- 10 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult
- 4 lifts: 4 ski lifts, 1 of which is a practice lift
- 2 km of panoramic ski trails along the mountain and 16 km of cross-country ski trails (skating and classic) along the valley
- Curling rink, holiday observatory, generous sauna spaces, guided snowshoe hikes
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Flattnitz
- 13 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult
- 4 lifts: 1 chairlift, 2 ski lifts and 1 rope lift
- 15 km of cross-country ski trails, 90% of which are in the sun
- Ski school for skiers, carvers, snowboarders
- 8 km of winter hiking trails
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Gitschtal
- 4 km of pistes easy to medium
- 5 lifts: 2 ski lifts, 1 button lift, 1 practice lift, magic carpet
- 35 km of cross-country ski trails, easy to difficult (skating and classic)
- 3-km illuminated toboggan run, torch-lit hikes
- ice skating rink in St. Lorenzen/G
- ski school and ski hire on site
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Hochrindl
- 17.5 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult
- 7 lifts: 4-seater chairlift, 5 ski lifts and 1 connecting lift
- 12-km of cross-country ski trails, panorama high-altitude trail, Anderle trail
- Snow & fun park
- Sleigh rides
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Kötschach-Mauthen
- 5 km of pistes easy to medium
- 4 lifts: 1 double chairlift, 1 ski lift, 1 baby lift and 1 practice lift
- 30 km of cross-country ski trails, easy to difficult
- Lit toboggan run
- Ice climbing,
- Guided snowshoe hikes
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Simonhöhe
- 13 km of pistes easy, medium and difficult
- 8 lifts: 7 ski lifts and 1 baby lift
- 5 km of cross-country ski runs
- Senior Tuesdays (15% reduction on day passes),
- Kids Saturdays
- Twilight toboggan rides with free snowmobile service
Carinthian Ski Resorts - Ski area Hebalm
Ski area Hebalm
Ski area Hebalm - A total of 60 state-of-the-art snowcannons guarantee the best snow on the Hebalm . A special treat are the floodlights which allow fun on the tracks until 9:00 pm
You will never get bored in this wonderful region of Austria!
For more information about Carinthia please download the Carinthia Information Brochure.